Help please! My new RS 125 is dying!! >_< - Aprilia Forum: Aprilia Motorcycle Forums
Aprilia RS Forum: RS50, RS125, RS250 Discussion of the Aprilia RS50, RS125 and RS250 motorcycles.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Default Help please! My new RS 125 is dying!! >_<

Hi guys, I am new here so I hope I am not doing anything wrong...

I live in Australia and I have recently bought a new RS 125 (Feb09) as my first bike. I know it is not the perfect first bike to learn riding on but I love the 2 strokes and it was a decision that I have made after testing a few other 250s. However, I heard that the RS125 can be a bit sensitive and eventually failed if not looked after properly, that's why I forked out extra money from my savings and bought myself a brand new one, hoping that at least I will be looked after with the warranty.

Well, the bike died after the first 200kms. It would start at all so I called the dealer and they took my bike in for a check up. It happened to be a dead sparkplug, so they replaced the sparkplug which I had to pay for and the bike was fine. For a while. Another 200ish kms the bike died again. I replaced the sparkplug myself and it was fine again. Before my 1000kms first service, I had gone through 4 sparkplugs at least.

When I query the workshop from where I bought my bike, the mechanic told me that I wasn't riding the bike properly. I will have to constantly rev it even at low speed or else it will kill the spark plug. Also, the mechanic told me to put in cheap fuels (91RON) instead of premium petrol. He said that premium petrol (ie: 98RON) is too dense for a 2 stroke and it will again, fail the spark plug.

The bike felt really good after its first service but then again, 200kms later, it died. It started to hesitate to rev higher than 6000rpm, especially in low gears and few days ago it wouldn't even start anymore. Got the dealer to tow it away, again, they replaced the spark plug and told me everything was fine with the bike. They even charged me $90 for doing the check up simply because they found nothing wrong with it! Got the bike back 2 days ago and last night it died again. I am so sick of all these but I can't do anything... especially when I don't know what's wrong with the bike exactly.

So guys, if anyone can think of any possible reasons why my plug keeps dying, please let me know. Also, I wonder if I am using the wrong plug? The workshop gave me BR9EGs and I did query about the BR10EG but the mechanic said that would just be a waste of money. By the way, all RS 125s in Australia shouldn't be restricted in case someone asked.

Also, what kind of petrol do you guys put in? 91, 95 or 98RON?

Sorry for such a long message and thanks for spending time reading this...

Cheers~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Well it may be that the mixture of petrol to 2-stroke oil is wrong, which would mean that the automatic mixer could be not working well. But this is quite rare... but then again so is your problem.
When there is too much 2-stroke oil in the mixture then it is known to result in lower performance and failure of the spark plug.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:37 PM

"gave me BR9EGs and I did query about the BR10EG"

restricted rs' use BR8ES, never known them to use the BR9EGs at all (whether restricted/derestricted), the manual Aprilia give to workshops for when they derestrict it says to only use the BR10EG, so I advise you to get one of those and try that. I run mine with a BR10EG and haven't had any problems with it after I derestricted it.
Also there are two unleaded pumps where I live; "superunleaded" which is 95, which is supposed to be pretty crap for your engine, so I use 91.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 AM

my bad it's actually 95 that i use, its the one higher which is worse
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 AM

When there is too much 2-stroke oil in the mixture then it is known to result in lower performance and failure of the spark plug.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:20 PM

Got the dealer to tow it away, again, they replaced the spark plug and told me everything was fine with the bike. They even charged me $90 for doing the check up simply because they found nothing wrong with it! Got the bike back 2 days ago and last night it died again.
Quotes by Celebrities
Authors of Famous Quotes
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewde View Post
Got the dealer to tow it away, again, they replaced the spark plug and told me everything was fine with the bike. They even charged me $90 for doing the check up simply because they found nothing wrong with it! Got the bike back 2 days ago and last night it died again.
Quotes by Celebrities
Authors of Famous Quotes
What colour is the spark plug when you take it out? either mixture could be wrong, running way to rich, or you've got a problem with coil/ht lead/ignition (thought ignition is rather rare, only mine seemed to fuck up!)
Check the colour of the spark and if it's dark brown/black then it's running
rich, check the size of the main jet as well, should be running between a 115 and 130 tops. If it's shoving in too much oil then it could be down to a couple of things, oil pump may be set wrongly so it's shoving through more than expected, or the TPS (throttle position sensor) may be goosed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:28 PM

The bike felt really good after its first service but then again, 200kms later, it died. It started to hesitate to rev higher than 6000rpm, especially in low gears and few days ago it wouldn't even start anymore. Got the dealer to tow it away, again, they replaced the spark plug and told me everything was fine with the bike. They even charged me $90 for doing the check up simply because they found nothing wrong with it! Got the bike back 2 days ago and last night it died again. I am so sick of all these but I can't do anything... especially when I don't know what's wrong with the bike exactly.
Life Quotes and Sayings
Famous Quotes About Life
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Check the plug and see what colour it is, if it's' very dark brown/black then it's running waaayyyy too rich. If you can then check what main jet it's running, should be between a 115 and 130. If it's over that then you can always start off by changing that. If it's putting too much oil in then it could be down to the oil pump not set right from standard, what the garage would do is clean out your carb, maybe bleed the pump (which I doubt) and then run it again with a new plug, without solving the problem, pump+throttle cable is very easy to adjust. Last thing that it could be, which would be unlucky is the throttle position sensor (TPS), that sits on top of the carb (black electric unit thing). Mine's just gone on mine and it's runnig richer and throttle response has gone down a faairrr amount, just yours could be affecting it in a worse way. If you mention these to your dealer then they may actually do something!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:04 PM

That's disgraceful that is!

That bike should not be going through plugs like that!

Even if it were fouling the plugs it shouldn't just die on you.

As people say, if the oil pump is faulty, then it will smoke its tits off and foul the plug. But then you'd know it's the oil pump because of the excessive smoke.

I have seen smokers run plenty rich for many miles and never once completely die. So I'd be reluctant to think that's the problem.

I rather think it has more to do with the electrical system not playing its part. Perhaps faulty CDI or too much spark through the ignition system killing off the plugs.

I'd grab an iridium plug and see if that dies as quickly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Aprilia Forum: Aprilia Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page