Aprilia Forum: Aprilia Motorcycle Forums

Aprilia Forum: Aprilia Motorcycle Forums (https://www.apriliatalk.com/forums/)
-   Aprilia RS Forum: RS50, RS125, RS250 (https://www.apriliatalk.com/forums/aprilia-rs-forum-rs50-rs125-rs250/)
-   -   Is the RS50 to fast for a teen? (https://www.apriliatalk.com/forums/aprilia-rs-forum-rs50-rs125-rs250/20-rs50-fast-teen.html)

Scooter 11-14-2007 02:13 PM

Is the RS50 to fast for a teen?

I've been reading how these can reach up to 60 MPH. Now maybe I'm being over cautious, but doesn't seem a little fast for a kid that age? I know many of us start our kids off young on off-road bikes, but for some reason it just seems different for on-road.

Maybe it's not the kid I'm worried about - Maybe it's the other idiots on the roads which I should really be sweating over.

Devs1979 11-16-2007 04:37 AM

Hi,

Im a mum of 2 !! Although both too young to ride at the moment, if or when they do ride a bike i'd want to know that the bike they are riding can keep up with main traffic !

If your teen can't maintain speeds similar to the mainstream traffic other road users WILL become impatient, and this is when accidents can and will happen !

In my honest opinion your teen will be safer on the rs than a bike / scooter with a top speed of less than 60 !

Scooter 11-16-2007 10:24 AM

Sound advice! I was inquiring for a friend, but since my wife and I are working on the family thing, I expect we'll need your advice as well:).

Thanks!

Devs1979 11-16-2007 11:00 AM

LOL.. Soz, I just presumed !!

But i've seen scooters and restricted bikes in dangerous situations all because they cannot go anywhere near the average speed limits !!

Remember... Car drivers get frustrated when stuck behind slower vehicles and WILL overtake..

Good luck with the family thing !! Love my 2 to bits, tho they drive me insane at times !! :D

Ironside 03-07-2008 03:41 PM

Good point about needing to have that speed as a defense. I don't think 60 MPH is too fast either. You could always tie a few lead weights to the back of the bike! heh.

sidecar 03-19-2008 04:17 PM

I concur...if you are going to be out on the road you need to have the power.

Lyte- 03-19-2008 09:26 PM

I am going to jump on the band wagon and agree here

Devs1979 04-09-2008 09:06 AM

Not been here for a while, Did your friend allow his son to get the RS ?

DjCrazyLegs 06-30-2009 11:25 AM

This comes from a household of over 80 years riding experience, of which some of those are mine. I am 16 and ride an Aprilia RS50. Mine hits 81 MPH but I don’t use it. It’s better to have the power and not use it than not have the power and need it. I think that if you don’t think the kid can have the discipline to ride, its simple. Don’t let them. There are already too many people that shouldn’t be driving without adding to it. Any real rider will agree with my whole post.

I am sure the person in question can gain that discipline, if it isn't already there. My parents followed me after I past my CBT to see it I was safe to be on the road. I also highly recommend this.

If I have helped or you wish to ask me any questions, please feel free.

Eddie Jones - Weston MotoGP Team Rider

himani 09-13-2010 11:21 PM

Good luck with the family thing !! Love my 2 to bits, tho they drive me insane at times !