changing swing arm&shock - help! - Aprilia Forum: Aprilia Motorcycle Forums
Aprilia SL1000 Falco Forum Discussion of all years of the Aprilia SL1000 Falco.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

changing swing arm&shock - help!

Hello all falco fans (now it is the moment to reply with that famous: Fuck you! )

well, this is my first threat. I have recently acquired a gorgeous SL1000 from 2004 in red/plack with 30,000 miles and in very good condition (it seems). it comes with a nice list of extras I have decidesd to increase, and after spending a few hours checking the pictures of nicely modified falcos I have decided to add the best mod of all: the RSV swingarm.

After reading sevel threads, I uchased a RSV swingarm, shock and linkage from a RSV 2001 (total cost = £110 + £70 + £15 = a good deal, right?). I have seen that I will also need to change the rear braided hose, and possibly the chain (or sprocket).. changes I had planned to do anyway

let's start to wrap up: the questions:
  • rear braided hose: does it have to be longer? by how much? in goodridge they can change the length
  • chain: what type of chain will I need? will the front sporoket be enough? I have a new chain fitted by the previous owner
  • shock adjustment: i weight 80kgs, do anyone know the set up for the RSV Sachs shock that can help?
  • is it anything else I need to change? bearings/spindle/wheel?
    Do I need to change the sidestand? will the one for the fireblade be fine?
  • Is it any threat on how to change it step by step (I just found one on fitting the swing arm for the 2004 model.. not the previous one)
I am utterly rubbish at DIY and will depend on a professional, so the more I know the less will cost me.

thanks a lot for any help you can give me. I really enjoy lookuing at this site and this is one of the reasons of my buying the falco (I also have a Duc M600)

Javi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:29 AM

Javi
I would go ahead and install your swingarm and shock and go for there. I wouldn't order parts until you know for sure of you could endup getting the wrong thing. If you did need a longer brake line, I don't imagine you would need one longer than +2 at the most, it's not like your stretching the bike any. I would do the same deal with the chain, put it all back together and see if she fits. If not order another chain plus two or three links. As far as your suspension goes, that's only up to you and the professionals who can set it up. You have to ride it and determine which is the best setting for you-seat-o-pants meter. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Charles
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

FINALLY - step-by-step swingger conversion

well, seen that I had many viewers but no one bothered to answer, I thought that may be is becasue no one really knows any web links explaining the process and to answer it's a bit too long...

I manage to find a previous thread with a very good explanation step-by-step on how to change the falco Swing arm for the gorgeous one in the RSV.. I hope other people find it useful

http://www.ridersite.ws/rs/viewtopic...617a4e1c1aaaaa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Charles!

Hi Charles (dacheez17),

I apologise, I didnt see your answerrs. I am taking your advise and will start fitting the swing arm, followingf all the steps in the link I found and see if the chain and brake hoses and chain are long enogh.

I have one question for you (you will also find it in a new thread), I will be taking the bike to Spain for good, and I will need to convert the lights to EU standards, have you got any clue of how I can do that?

I have been surfing on ebay sites in Italy, Spain and Germany but I can't find anything at all, the availabiity of parts on ebay in those countries is very poor. the price of a new headlight is well over £260, which is way too much.

any tips/tricks...

thanks a lot for the reply (you were the only one)

Javi
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 PM

I have checked out the link given by Javigar.
And I think it's pretty helpful.
The suggestions worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Aprilia Forum: Aprilia Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page